Sign in or
Advocating on Facebook
Facebook is a great platform for person-to-person communications, and with groups, causes, and pages, there are all kinds of other activism opportunities as well. Here are some suggestions on what you can do.
On your profile and to your friends
- Post links to your profile -- which also mean they goes out in your feed, and so your friends are likely to see it. To do this,
- get to your profile by click on the Profile button at the top of any Facebook page
- click on Share link.
- cut-and-paste the URL you want to post into the text box. http://digg.com/politics/Feingold_to_give_Obama_a_few_more_weeks_on_FISA_reform is a good place to start; or our blog post here)
- click the preview button
- add a sentence or two in the "optional comment" field to let people know more about why you're posting. make sure to ask people to vote for the idea!
- click on Submit
- Share the link the with your friends
- compose a new message
- add up to 20 friends on the "to" line. (if this is something you'll be doing frequently, consider making a "friends list")
- add a short message to give them context -- and make sure to ask them to vote, and let them know the deadline is Thursday at 2 PM Pacific time
- click on Share link at the bottom of the message
- cut-and-paste the URL, http://www.change.org/ideas/view/get_fisa_right_repeal_the_patriot_act_and_restore_our_civil_liberties into the text box
- click send
- change your status, maybe something like Get FISA Right has a scoop! http://is.gd/lWqB
- change your profile picture. There are a lot of different images to choose from in our photo gallery.
To groups, organizations and causes
There are a lot of groups, organizations, fan pages, and causes on Facebook that are potentially fertile recruiting grounds for activists interested in this. Please help by picking a few and reaching out to them ... here's how:
- If the group or page has a Wall or discussion board, post about it (sample post below)
- Add a comment to the thread letting others know you've contacted the group so that we don't spam people.
Sample Wall post
Note: Wall posts need to be short and sweet, so this post assumes that the people in the group know about either PATRIOT Act, FISA, or civil liberties -- we're only posting these in relevant groups.
At his birthday party/fundraiser, Senator Feingold said he's going to give the Administration “a few more weeks” to come up with a bill to roll back the FISA amendments, and introduce his own bill if they don’t. Activists: start getting ready now! Suggestions for how Get FISA Right can help?
FISA-related groups on FacebookPlease write on the wall with a link to this page, and send a message to the moderators asking them to do a "message all" If you know of others, please add them. If you start getting warned for being a spammer, please see How to Respond when Facebook Censors your Political Speech on the Wired how-to wiki!
- Illegal NSA Wiretapping is a bigger problem than the damn minifeed
- Warrantless domestic wiretapping
- Another Patriot Act, another proverbial nail in the coffin
- Cyber Libertarian Democrats
- ACLU Defends All That America Stands For
- No Immunity for Telcoms That Helped Bush Spy!
- Feingold Democrats
- Progressive Democrats of America
- The NSA is running facebook as a surveillance program.
- American Constitution Society
- Center for Constitutional Rights
- Unclaimed Territory Fans
- Computers, Freedom, and Privacy
- Abolish the Patriot Act now (30,000 members)
- EFF: Midnight Riders of the Electronic Frontier
- Beijing, Minnesota (slightly tongue in cheek group Thomas Nephew created about surveillance/free speech repression in connection with the RNC this summer).
- Stop the Warrantless Surveillance Program! (wall post)
- No to wiretapping, no to immunity! (admin emailed, wall post)
- Progressive Democrats (emailed Mike Hersh, wall post)
- One million strong for Barack (discussion board post)
- Privacy '08 Cause (wall post, "message all" will go out once we figure out how to do it :-) )
- Feminist Advisory Board for Obama ... discussion thread here
- Abolish the FISA bill
- Restore the Rule of Law
Latest page update: made by JonPincus
, Mar 5 2009, 11:53 AM EST
(about this update
About This Update
rework for Feingold
86 words added
399 words deleted
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page
|Started By||Thread Subject||Replies||Last Post|
|thomasn528||Sent messages to...||0||Jan 14 2009, 3:12 PM EST by thomasn528|
|thomasn528||Sent messages to...||0||Jan 14 2009, 2:56 PM EST by thomasn528|
|thomasn528||Sent messages to...||1||Jan 11 2009, 1:01 PM EST by JonPincus|
Thread started: Jan 9 2009, 12:12 PM EST Watch
* Beijing, Minnesota (slightly tongue in cheek group I created about surveillance/free speech repression in connection with the RNC this summer).
* Stop the Warrantless Surveillance Program (wall post)
* No to wiretapping, no to immunity (admin emailed, wall post)
* Progressive Democrats (emailed Mike Hersh, wall post)
Showing 3 of 6 threads for this page - view all